While tax planning is a regular part of every entrepreneur’s work cycle, value planning may have a bigger long-term impact. Given that your business is likely your largest asset, wouldn’t you want to maximize its value?
For a business owner, retirement often translates into selling your business. Even if you never plan on selling, building your business as though you will sell someday will ensure more efficient operations, clearer business trends, a cleaner financial picture, and better standard operating procedures – all key qualities for both effective ongoing operations and value drivers for the future.
For business owners, proactive value planning:
- allows you to understand the value drivers in your business (how the business will be valued, and what you can control to increase that value)
- helps you identify and prioritize the actions needed for the future
- helps you clarify whether actions you are taking are having a positive impact
- measures growth, capacity for growth, efficiency, future opportunity, and future risks
If you are considering purchasing another business or selling your own, there is no crystal ball to help you determine perfect timing. However, there are ways to monitor the financial performance of your company – or the company you are looking to purchase – that can help guide your decisions. This class will help you understand how to analyze your business’ financial performance as well as some qualitative factors to consider when making decisions regarding your investment in your business.
In this session, you will:
- Understand the actions you can take – quantitative and qualitative – that can increase the potential value of your business for a buyer
- Explore the idea of a “buyer” – who are they? What are they looking for?
- Learn tips for building your business to sell
- Understand how to build credibility and clear financial statements
- Understand risk factors that impact value
- Understand qualities of the ideal time to sell
- Learn the basics of what to expect when selling your business – or what to look for if you are hoping to buy a business
Using this session as a launch point for longer-term planning can also help you set goals for what you need to achieve before you go into the market.
Location: Online; Zoom link will be sent within 24 hours of the class start time
Schedule: 8:30-11:30 am
Date: October 26, 2022
REGISTER ONLINE or call 608-262-2451 to register. BONUS: Place 2 or more paid SBDC courses in your cart, and use discount code SBDC10 for 10% off. Classes must be purchased in the same transaction.
Jane Tereba, CPA
Ms. Tereba is a Shareholder with Capital Valuation Group and provides business and intangible asset valuations and consulting services. Prior to joining the firm, her demonstrated record of achievement includes over 15 years of experience in public accounting.