Overview of the Program
Biz Smart Sprint is your introduction into the world of entrepreneurship. In this live, virtual 6-week course, you will learn the building blocks you need to become a successful entrepreneur. Each week, you’ll discover the key components you need to start a business, including the Business Model Canvas business planning tool, understanding your customers and market, developing a marketing strategy, legal and operational considerations, and financial basics.
This course is an excellent touchpoint for:
- Entrepreneurs who are just starting out
- Participants who need a refresher on business basics
- More established businesses looking to formalize or revamp their business planning process
- Individuals who are considering the feasibility of their “big idea”
- Product or industry experts who are looking to learn how to think of their product or service in business terms
In addition to the program content, you’ll receive limited-time client access to GrowthWheel, an online platform that provides you with tools designed by an entrepreneur and used worldwide. These tools enable you to see a 360-degree view of your business and to break down business decision-making into smaller pieces – brick by brick. Your GrowthWheel account is accessible 24/7, and can be used to help you understand the different dimensions of your business, utilizing the worksheets to structure your thinking and assist you to prioritize/set your business goals.
Throughout Biz Smart Sprint, you will also receive GrowthWheel worksheets that can help you assess your strategy and articulate various aspects of your business. While these worksheets are fully optional for the course, they can help you capture your ideas visually and enable you to think through your own business’ challenges. If you plan to move forward with writing a business plan, GrowthWheel is a great place to keep all of your ideas in one place!
In this course, program participants will have 6 sessions of business content and a 1-hour wrap-up session on writing a business plan.
- Session 1: Course introduction and understanding the Business Model Canvas
- Session 2: Business value proposition, identification of key customers and market in order to determine product/market fit
- Session 3: Legal and Operational Considerations (entity selection, HR Laws/policies, insurance/liability, etc.)
- Session 4: Marketing Strategy
- Session 5: Financial basics (key terms, pricing, managing cash flow, sources of financing)
- Session 6: Writing a formal Business Plan
Looking for a more formalized option to help you quickly move toward launching your business or writing a full business plan? The Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP) may be for you.
Wondering which program – the Entrepreneurial Training Program or Biz Smart Sprint – is right for you? Visit this page for a comparison of the programs.
Location: Live Virtual
Schedule: 4:00- 6:00 pm CST
Dates: 6 sessions – this program will next be offered in Summer 2022
- July 14, 2022 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
- July 21, 2022 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
- July 28, 2022 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
- August 4, 2022 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
- August 11, 2022 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
- August 18 from 4:00 pm – 6:00 pm (class taught online via Zoom)
Register Online Here or call 608-262-3909 to register. BONUS: Place 2 or more paid SBDC courses in your cart, and use discount code SBDC10 for 10% off. Classes must be purchased in the same transaction.
*When you register: In order to prepare for your participation in this course, there is some information we need from you ahead of time. Please complete this Qualtrics survey to help us prepare for you to join the class!
Registration policy: Payment will be required at time of registration. You must have either a credit card or valid UW-Madison funding string to be able to register.